Since 1858 and the days of four-masted schooners, Jones Stevedoring has been providing professional handling and management services. Under the leadership of one family, Jones Stevedoring has grown into the successful enterprise that it is today and, like most companies whose services have withstood the test of time, Jones Stevedoring has experienced both growth and change.
The Jones Stevedoring Company was founded in 1858 by D.C.H. Rothschild who, after traveling the globe, settled in Port Townsend, Washington Territory to operate a mercantile and ship service business.
D.C.H.’s son, Henry, expanded the family business into stevedoring, and in partnership with his brother-in-law, William J. Jones, led the company through tremendous growth, firmly establishing the reputation of service excellence.
At the turn of the century, the population base and business in the Pacific Northwest continued to grow. During these exciting times, Rothschild Stevedoring (as the company then was known) led the way; introducing innovative methods of cargo handling to meet the continual challenges presented by the larger steam-powered ships and a changing cargo base.
For a short time during the 1910’s and 1920’s, the company separated into two entities, but was rejoined in 1929. Following the company’s rejoining, the business grew and prospered under the leadership of Clayton R. Jones. Following his death, Clayton R. Jones, Jr. stepped in and guided the company’s growth and reputation for excellence continued under yet another generation of Jones family leadership.
Today, Jones Stevedoring Company is present in every U.S. North Pacific port under the direction and leadership of Clayton R. Jones III. The family dedication to providing superior quality service along with their commitment to leadership in cargo handling and transportation logistics continues unabated and stronger than ever.